The Owen Observer

The Owen Observer
“There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened, and maintained.” -Winston Churchill

Monday, October 7, 2013

Mississippi!

I promised my sister that once I got to Mississippi I would be much better about updating my blog. So far, I have not upheld that promise. Sorry, Katy! I am trying to make up for the last month of not blogging now.

I guess we would begin after Ezra's birth. Lucky for me, I got to go stay at my parents' house while I recovered and Jason "got" to finish packing up the house and then "got" to drive our car for three days to Oxford with no screaming children in the backseat! Liam, Ezra, and I all shared a bedroom for 3 weeks, which was kind of a pain in the behind and we didn't get much sleeping done. However, Liam managed to get Grandma and Grandpa wound very tightly around his little finger very quickly, which meant he got to eat cookies and candy whenever he wanted, rearrange all the cupboards in the kitchen, interrupt all of Grandpa's phone calls, and jump on Grandma's bed. Ezra got to be cuddled whenever he so much as made a peep and I got to relax and recover much more quickly than I would have had I been home on my own. We were so grateful for our fun time at their house and we were sad when it was time to leave, but we missed our Daddy WAY too much!

Liam watching baseball with Grandpa.

Liam liked to water the plants for Grandma while she sat on the porch with him.
Before Jason left, we blessed Ezra at the church with as many of our family as could come and with our beloved bishopric from Mission Hills ward. While the boys and I were still in Vegas, we got visits from my sister Katy AND my sister Maggie who wanted to snuggle Ezra before he moved across the country!

So many cute cousins with Grandma and Grandpa!

Ezra's blessing, with Gma and Gpa Bello and Gma and Gpa Elton.
Before we knew it, it was time to get on a plane to fly to Tennessee! Luckily, "Pa" (Grandma Elton) came with us! Boy did I need the help, with two babies, two carseats, a stroller, a suitcase, and two carry on bags!!! Liam did great on the airplane. Each time the plane took off, he wanted to pat pat on his lap and then raise his arms and "Blast Off!" (Little Einsteins rocket style). We barely had a 45 minute layover in Charlotte. We made it to our tiny airplane on time to board. It was the kind of plane where you had to walk outside to the plane and then go up the stairs. As I was checking the stroller outside, I turned around to see a line of people forming at the bottom of the stairs and my two year old climbing up the steep steps of the plane all by himself! It was a funny moment. Ezra also did great, but he got to be held all day long, so why wouldn't he do great?!

Liam insisted on sitting in the window seat on our second flight.

Liam fast asleep on our first flight.
Jason picked us up in Memphis and we were all so excited to see our Daddy!!! We ate at Corky's BBQ in Memphis and then drove an hour South to Oxford, MS,our new home! My mom stayed with us for the next 4 days and was a huge help to me as we got settled in our house. We unpacked boxes, washed clothes, found places for everything, hung curtains, and cooked food. It was a lot of work! That Saturday, my mom watched Ezra while Liam, Jason, and I went to our first Ole Miss football game. It was a lot of fun and a great introduction into Southern football culture.

It was a long walk to the game. Luckily, someone stopped and gave us a ride.

At his first ever football game!
My mom left me and I was so sad! Some girls in my new ward were getting together that night and invited me over, so I didn't feel so lonely. It was fun to make some friends so quickly! I spent the following days orienting myself to Oxford, discovering parks, the library, and finishing getting the house set up. I am finally feeling settled, and I am very happy to be here. I will try to be better about updating the blog so I can share our adventures with you in more detail. Here are some pictures to tide you over in the mean time.

We're always so happy when Daddy comes home! 

Liam is a good big brother.

Liam's first bike! In his pretty green front yard.

Ezra is getting so big and is learning to play with his big boy toys.



1 comment:

Katy said...

Yay!! So fun to hear about your doings and to see pictures! I love that bit about Little Einsteins. That's so fun!