The Owen Observer

The Owen Observer
“There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues, the most dominating virtues of human society, are created, strengthened, and maintained.” -Winston Churchill

Monday, July 3, 2017

If Only the Walls Could Talk




 A couple weeks ago I had to say goodbye to one of my favorite places. The place I called home for almost three years. We did a lot of living in this place. Oh, if only the walls could talk, what would they tell you?

They would tell you of the time we first walked into our new home with a rambunctious three year old Liam and his toddling little brother and how Little Liam ran from room to room saying, "Oh! New house! Thank you Mom! Thank you Dad! Thank you new house! I love it!"

They would tell you how much I loved my one story house, and not having to trudge up and down stairs with my little children following like ducks. How I didn't have to worry about them tumbling down any stairs.



They would tell you how many meals I made in my tiny little kitchen with the adorable white cabinets and the large counter that I used to cut fabric for quilts as well as roll out cookie dough to cut and decorate with my little ones.

They would tell you how much my little boys loved to pull up chairs to that big counter to make their own oatmeal in the morning for breakfast!

They would tell you how after dinner, the boys would run circles around us in the kitchen space until they were worn down and ready for bed.

They would tell you how my baby Ezra grew up and became Little Liam's best friend.

They would tell you how Liam went off to preschool and Kindergarten from this house.


 They would tell you of our excitement when we learned we would have a third child and our overwhelming joy when we learned it was a GIRL!

They would tell you of that little girl and the love that surrounded her arrival. They would tell you of her first smile, her first laugh, her first step, her first words...

They would tell you of the friends we made and the play dates we had! They would tell you of all the little friends running from room to room screaming and laughing and jumping on beds.

They would tell you of lightsaber fights, squirt gun wars, and endless games of tag and hide n seek.

They would tell you of the wonderful women I am privilged to call my own dear friends, and the Sonic drinks that were shared and the conversations that were had and the bonds that                                                                 were formed.



 They would tell you of Christmas family breakfasts, birthday parties, Easter egg hunts, Halloween outings, and other celebrations with the people we love.

They would tell you of the fires that were built in the fireplace when it finally grew cold enough outside to light a fire.

They would tell you of family cuddles and back scratches that cost a quarter.

They would tell you of the movies we watched and the popcorn we shared.

They would tell you of our beautiful backyard where the children spent hours playing make believe and sports and jumping on the trampoline.

They would tell you of the laughter we shared and the tears that we shed.

They would tell you of the prayers that we prayed and the decisions we made.

They would tell you of the food, of the love, of the friendship that was created in this house.

They would tell you our story.

Now it's time for the next chapter, and as we turn the page and move away, this house holds a special place in my heart. I hope these walls hold and protect its next family as well as it did for mine. I hope to fill my next home with just as much love. Oh, the living we did in this house... if only the walls could talk...

No comments: